Endodontics is the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases of the dental pulp.
Endodontic therapy (root canal therapy) is a sequence of treatments for removing the pulp of a tooth to eliminate infection and protect the tooth from future infection. Without treatment, the infection of the dental pulp will spread to the bone around the tooth and beyond.
The procedure is relatively painless when properly done. Dr. Garelick offers sedation dentistry for those patients who may be a little anxious or would just rather sleep through the procedure.
dental crown is fabricated to complete the restoration of the natural tooth. The procedure is generally spread over several visits to assure the infected pulp and associated bacteria have been eliminated.
Root Canal Process
- The tooth crown is removed and the top of the tooth is opened to all for the removal of the dental pulp.
- All of the soft dental material is removed to prevent infection.
- The cleaned tooth and root canals are then filled with a special material that will support and preserve the integrity of the tooth root.
- The tooth is then reinforced with posts which are added into the canals and then the opening is sealed with a filling plug.
- The top of the tooth is then capped with a dental crown.
Dental Crown Replacement
Dr. Garelick will help you decide on the most appropriate treatment for your comfort and crown replacement options (e.g., all-ceramic crowns, porcelain fused to gold, all gold crowns ) to achieve the most natural-looking restoration for your smile.
Dental Implants v. Endodontic therapy
Dental implants offer an alternative to root canal therapy. In some cases dental implant surgery may be preferable and off a more secure anchor for crown replacements. Only a qualified dentist, after examining a patient's unique condition, can help the patient to decide which treatment is better.